Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Ignorance

I know a lot of things bother or annoy me. But there are just some things I cannot stand. One of those being, people insulting a culture that is not their own.

I realize there are a lot of things in other cultures that not all people will agree with, but for someone not of that culture to insult it just because they don't agree with it or like it is COMPLETELY IGNORANT. It's one thing not to like something, but who is anyone not directly associated to that culture in the position to make any kind of negative remark about those who do live that way?

People need to understand that THEY may not agree with a certain aspect of one's culture, BUT, those who are apart of that culture or are surrounded by it, its a way of life for them.

The reason I bring this up is because recently I came across an "online group" that is basically a "hate club" for something I'm interested in. I don't care if anyone hates something that I love to do. What I do care about though is their ignorance towards it and people who do it.

Poi Balls, which is a ball on a long piece of string that is swung around in different motions. (done with 2 or more at a time) It's a performance art from the Maori people of New Zealand. IT'S A PART OF THEIR CULTURE, yet the people in that hate group say people who do it are losers, should get a hobby or a job, are only trying to show off, etc etc etc. I'm sure there are those who do do it only to show off and try to impress others. But for people like me and people of that culture, they do it because they have respect and appreciation FOR THAT CULTURE.

You don't have to like it, or anything else for that matter, but no one is in any position to insult or critizise something of another culture. You people need to get over yourselves because you know what, I'm sure there are things you do too that others find to be stupid. You're not that great so just shut up.


Oh and by the way, I rather be a loser than an ignorant fool.

I don't do it JUST to do it. I actually preform as apart of Polynesian entertainment.

No comments: