Tuesday, December 9, 2008

"I'm fat"

The other day I was with the guys talking and joking around when the subject of how skinny girls complain about being fat. I can't stand it! And neither can they. I "get" how the media has a role in this and stupid little naive teeny boppers tend to want to listen. But what I can't understand is why they're so easily convinced that women need to be skinny in order to be beautiful. You need to have name brand clothes, designer crap in order to be stylish, and so on. I mean, I get it but then I don't. Why is it these girls can't seem to think for themselves and just be happy with who they are (I know its not just the girls who can't think for themselves, but thats what I'm focusing on)? Do you really want to listen to people who are so concerned about a persons looks that they make so many feel bad about themselves who don't live up to THEIR standards? In the end, will it REALLY matter? NO.

I will admit, when I was younger there were things about myself that I didn't particularly care for and wanted to change. But it was all a "healthy" complaint that I just thought about every so often but didn't dwell on. I didn't hate myself or complain about not looking "perfect". Even now, there are a few things I'd still like different but whatever. I am who I am and I am actually happy with how I look. I'm not over confident, but I'm comfortable in my own skin. Even though I'm not a size 2, I feel good about myself (which surprises even me with my flaws). If I gain a couple pounds I don't freak out. If my pants are a little tighter than they were a few weeks earlier I just brush it off. Why? Because its not the end of the world.

You don't need to be skinny to be beautiful. If anything I've found guys like it when girls have a little meat on their bones. Not just a skeleton who is 5'7, 103 pounds, and complains about being fat even though clearly you're far from it. Even if you are "fat" either do something about it or learn to love yourself for who you are, because honestly, it is whats inside that counts. At least to me anyways. I can see a guy with a "hot" body (I hate that word), a nice face, but with a bad attitude and he is not attractive to me at all. I'd prefer a husky guy, an average face, but humble and can make me laugh any day. Those looks will probably eventually fade and what are you left with? An ugly person inside AND out.

Who decided that skinny is beautiful and fat isn't anyways? There are plenty of people who beg to differ. I've seen so many people who are not skinny but very attractive, and skinny people who aren't. If you complain about it and just sulk because of it, of course you won't be happy. You don't need to be one of those people who thinks "I KNOW I look good", but be someone who even though you're not what the media thinks is perfect or beautiful, it doesn't mean its true. Look at some of the "beautiful" people of Hollywood. Britney Spears- Crazy. Paris Hilton- Stupid and USED, you get the point. Even though I don't exactly think those people are beautiful (mostly due to their attitudes) others do. Do you want to be like them? I sure hope not.

You are who you are and it's up to you if you're beautiful. Because in the end it really only matters what you think. If someone else doesn't think so, WHO CARES! Who made them the judge of another persons looks? They're probably too superficial to waste your time on anyways.


Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder.

1 comment:

blistered_avalon said...

Yep.

I dated someone who was hung up on being thin and constantly complained about being fat as shit...but then she also had (still has?) some severe self-esteem and psychological issues, so that's definitely in line with what you talk about in this one. I'm so glad that's over!